All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring Philip Hoff's six years as goverr of the Green Mountain State (1963 1969), the politics, demographics, ecomics and government structure of Vermont changed in major and long-lasting ways, and a new liberal tradition took hold. He was an activist goverr, pushing new ideas, concepts and programs and challenging the idea that Vermont goverrs should be caretakers in the way that his predecessors had been.
Hoff very much believed that government was and should be the primary force in bringing about social change, saying that Every significant decision of our time is going to be made in the governmental arena. He was quick to support efforts to modernize government operations that he considered obsolete and inefficient. But his influence on the state was profound and long lasting. At the time he left office in January 1969, the Rutland Herald predicted that, it will be impossible to turn back the clock to the political era of caretaker goverrs. Hoff himself left office believing that his six years as an activist goverr finally got Vermont off the dime. Bill Kearns put it more bluntly, saying that Hoff picked up the state by the back of the neck and gave it a damned good, much needed shaking.
- Author BiographySAMUEL B. HAND is professor emeritus of history at the University of Vermont. ANTHONY MARRO and STEPHEN C. TERRY both covered Hoff as reporters for Vermont newspapers. TERRY later became a U.S. Senate aide, managing editor of the Rutland (VT) Herald, and a utility executive. MARRO was editor of Newsday from 1987 until 2003.
- Author(s)Anthony Marro,Samuel B. Hand,Stephen C. Terry
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight456 g
- Width159 mm
- Height495 mm
- Spine22 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.