All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhiloponus' commentary on the last part of Aristotle's Physics Book 4 does t offer major alternatives to Aristotle's science, as did his commentary on the earlier parts, concerning place, vacuum and motion in a vacuum. Aristotle's subject here is time, and his treatment of it had led to controversy in earlier writers. Philoponus does offer velties when he treats motion round a bend as in one sense faster than motion on the straight over the same distance in the same time, because of the need to consider the greater effort involved. And he points out that in an earlier commentary on Book 8 he had argued against Aristotle for the possibility of a last instant of time. This volume contains an English translation of Philoponus' commentary, as well as a detailed introduction, extensive explanatory tes and a bibliography.
- Author BiographySarah Broadie is Professor of Philosophy at the University of St Andrews, UK. A specialist in Classical Philosophy, she is interested in many areas of metaphysics and ethics, modern as well as ancient.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/06/2011
- Series TitleAncient Commentators on Aristotle
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Classical Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight393 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated bySarah Broadie
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
- AU $21.64New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.34
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.