All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a major, wide-ranging history of analytic philosophy since 1900, told by one of the tradition's leading contemporary figures. The first volume takes the story from 1900 to mid-century. The second brings the history up to date. As Scott Soames tells it, the story of analytic philosophy is one of great but uneven progress, with leading thinkers making important advances toward solving the tradition's core problems. Though broad philosophical position ever achieved lasting dominance, Soames argues that two methodological developments have, over time, remade the philosophical landscape. These are (1) analytic philosophers' hard-won success in understanding, and distinguishing the tions of logical truth, a priori truth, and necessary truth, and (2) gradual acceptance of the idea that philosophical speculation must be grounded in sound prephilosophical thought. Though Soames views this history in a positive light, he also illustrates the difficulties, false starts, and disappointments endured along the way. As he engages with the work of his predecessors and contemporaries--from Bertrand Russell and Ludwig Wittgenstein to Donald Davidson and Saul Kripke--he seeks to highlight their accomplishments while also pinpointing their shortcomings, especially where their perspectives were limited by an incomplete grasp of matters that have w become clear. Soames himself has been at the center of some of the tradition's most important debates, and throughout writes with exceptional ease about its often complex ideas. His gift for clear exposition makes the history as accessible to advanced undergraduates as it will be important to scholars. Despite its centrality to philosophy in the English-speaking world, the analytic tradition in philosophy has had very few synthetic histories. This will be the benchmark against which all future accounts will be measured.
- Author BiographyScott Soames is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southern California. His other books include Reference and Description (Princeton), Beyond Rigidity , and Understanding Truth .
- PrizesWinner of AAP/Professional and Scholarly Publishing Awards: Philosophy 2003. Shortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2004.
- Author(s)Scott Soames
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication10/01/2005
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Weight628 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.