Philosophical Devices: Proofs, Probabilities, Possibilities, and Sets by David Papineau (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.34Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is designed to explain the technical ideas that are taken for granted in much contemporary philosophical writing. Notions like 'denumerability', 'modal scope distinction', 'Bayesian conditionalization', and 'logical completeness' are usually only elucidated deep within difficult specialist texts. By offering simple explanations that by-pass much irrelevant and boring detail, Philosophical Devices is able to cover a wealth of material that is rmally only available to specialists. The book contains four sections, each of three chapters. The first section is about sets and numbers, starting with the membership relation and ending with the generalized continuum hypothesis. The second is about analyticity, a prioricity, and necessity. The third is about probability, outlining the difference between objective and subjective probability and exploring aspects of conditionalization and correlation. The fourth deals with metalogic, focusing on the contrast between syntax and semantics, and finishing with a sketch of Godel's theorem. Philosophical Devices will be useful for university students who have got past the foothills of philosophy and are starting to read more widely, but it does t assume any prior expertise. All the issues discussed are intrinsically interesting, and often downright fascinating. It can be read with pleasure and profit by anybody who is curious about the technical infrastructure of contemporary philosophy.
- Author BiographyDavid Papineau was educated in Trinidad, England, and South Africa. He has a BSc in mathematics from the University of KwaZulu-Natal and a BA and PhD in philosophy from Cambridge. He has lectured at Reading University, Macquarie University, Birkbeck College London, and Cambridge University. Since 1990 he has been Professor of Philosophy at King's College London. He was President of the British Society for the Philosophy of Science from 1993 to 1995. In 1999-2000 he was a Leverhulme Research Fellow and in 2007 a Mind Fellow. He was President of the Mind Association for 2009-10. In 2010 he gave the Rudolf Carnap Lectures in Bochum, Germany and in 2011 the Gottlob Frege Lectures in Tartu, Estonia.
- Author(s)David Papineau
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication12/10/2012
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteline-drawings
- Weight258 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.43New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.80New
- AU $11.17Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $101.89Trending at AU $118.99
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.