All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis multidisciplinary collection explores three key concepts underpinning psychiatry-explanation, phemelogy, and sology - and their continuing relevance in an age of neuroimaging and genetic analysis. An introduction by Kenneth S Kendler lays out the philosophical grounding of psychiatric practice. The first section addresses the concept of explanation, from the difficulties in describing complex behaviour to the categorization of psychological and biological causality. In the second section, contributors discuss experience, including the complex and vexing issue of how self-agency and free will affect mental health. The third and final section examines the organizational difficulties in psychiatric sology and the instability of the existing diagstic system. Each chapter has both an introduction by the editors and a concluding comment by ather of the book's contributors. Contributors: John Campbell, PhD; Thomas Fuchs, MD, PhD; Shaun Gallagher, PhD; Kenneth S Kendler, MD; Sandra D Mitchell, PhD; Dominic P Murphy, PhD; Josef Parnas, MD, Dr Med Sci; Louis A Sass, PhD; Kenneth F Schaffner, MD, PhD; James F Woodward, PhD; Peter Zachar, PhD.
- Author BiographyKenneth S. Kendler, MD, is the Rachel Brown Banks Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry at the Medical College of Virginia, where he is also a professor of human genetics and the director of the Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics. He is the author of Genes, Environment, and Psychopathology. Josef Parnas, MD, DrMedSci, is a professor of psychiatry and the consultant medical director for the Department of Psychiatry at Copenhagen University. He is the codirector of the National Danish Research Foundation's Center for Subjectivity Research.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication11/09/2015
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note15, 10 black & white line drawings, 5 black & white halftones
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJosef Parnas,Kenneth S. Kendler
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.