Philosophical Perspectives on Gender in Sport and Physical Activity by Taylor & Francis Ltd (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $63.51Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by 108_crystal
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are a broad variety of sex and gender resonances in sport, from the clash of traditional ideas of femininity and athleticism represented by female athletes, to the culture of homophobia in mainstream male sport. Despite the many sociological and cultural volumes addressing these subjects, this collection is the first to focus on the philosophical writings that they have inspired. The editors have selected twelve of the most thought-provoking philosophical articles on these subjects from the past thirty years, to create a valuable and much needed resource. Written by established experts from all over the world, the essays in this collection cover four major themes: * sport and the construction of the female * objectification and the sexualization of sport * homophobia * sex boundaries: obstruction, naturalization and opposition. The book gathers a broad range of philosophical viewpoints on gender in sport into one unique source, subjecting the philosophical origins and characteristics of some of the most controversial topics in sport to rigorous scrutiny. With a balance of male and female contributors from both sides of the Atlantic, and a comprehensive introduction and postscript to contextualize the source material, Philosophical Perspectives on Gender in Sport and Physical Activity is essential reading for all students of the philosophy of sport, sport and gender, and feminist philosophy.
- Author BiographyPaul Davis is a teaching fellow at the University of Abertay, Dundee. He has had numerous articles published in the Journal of the Philosophy of Sport, as well as having written an introductory text on metaethics. His background is in philosophy, including philosophy of sport. Charlene Weaving is an assistant professor in the human kinetics department at St. Francis Xavier University, Nova Scotia. She teaches gender and sport, Canadian sport history, qualitative research methods and an advanced Olympic Games course. Her current research interests include philosophical analysis of gender, sport, and sexuality.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/09/2009
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byCharlene Weaving,Paul Davis
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.