All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhilosophy of Techlogy: An introduction for techlogy and business students is an accessible guide to techlogy's changes , their ubiquitousness, and the many questions these raise. Designed for those with philosophical background in mind, it is ideal for techlogy and engineering students or specialists who want to learn to think critically about how their work influences society and our daily lives. The techlogical, business environment and daily experiences are the starting point of the book and the authors' reflect upon these practices from a philosophical point of view. The text goes on to present a critical analysis of the subject including development, manufacturing, sales and marketing and the use of techlogical products and services. The abstract ideas are made easier to grasp with a story-telling approach: a vivid history of the discipline and colourful portraits of the core thinkers in this domain, as well as four case studies drawing from various engineering disciplines to demonstrate how philosophy can and should influence techlogy in practice. The first comprehensive introduction to this vibrant young sub-discipline in over 20 years, this is an ideal textbook for students of techlogy and engineering beginning a course or project in the philosophy of their subject.
- Author BiographyMaarten J. Verkerk is Affiliate Professor in Reformational Philosophy at Eindhoven University of Technology and Maastricht University, the Netherlands. He is also a member of the Board for VitaValley, an innovation network in health care. Jan Hoogland is Affiliate Professor in Reformational Philosophy at the University of Twente and Professor in Society Issues and Formative Education at Windesheim University of Applied Sciences, the Netherlands. He is also editor-in-chief of the journal Sophiie. Jan van der Stoep holds the chair for Media, Religion and Culture at the Ede Christian University of Applied Science, the Netherlands. He is also a member of the editorial board of Philosophia Reformata. Marc J. de Vries is Professor of Science and Technology Education and Affiliate Professor of Christian Philosophy at Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands. He is the editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Technology & Design Education.
- Author(s)Jan Hoogland,Jan van der Stoep,Maarten J. Verkerk,Marc J. De Vries
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication29/07/2015
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note32 black & white illustrations, 5 black & white tables, 25 black & white halftones, 7 black & white line drawings
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.