All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionPhonetically Based Phology is centred around the hypothesis that phologies of languages are determined by phonetic principles; that is, phonetic patterns involving ease of articulation and perception are expressed linguistically as grammatical constraints. This book brings together a team of scholars to provide a wide-ranging study of phonetically based phology. It investigates the role of phonetics in many phological phemena - such as assimilation, vowel reduction, vowel harmony, syllable weight, contour line distribution, metathesis, lenition, sority sequencing, and the Obligatory Contour Principle (OCP) - exploring in particular the phonetic bases of phological markedness in these key areas. The analyses also illustrate several analytical strategies whereby phological sound patterns can be related to their phological underpinnings. Each chapter includes a tutorial discussion of the phonetics on which the phological discussion is based. Diverse and comprehensive in its coverage, Phonetically Based Phology will be welcomed by all linguists interested in the relationship between phonetics and phological theory.
- Author BiographyBruce Hayes is a Professor of Linguistics at the University of California, Los Angeles. Robert Kirchner is an Assistant Professor of Linguistics at the University of Alberta. Donca Steriade is a Professor Linguistics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/01/2008
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note27 b/w illus. 124 tables
- Weight560 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byBruce Hayes,Donca Steriade,Robert Kirchner
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.