All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Ferdinand Magellan set out to circumnavigate the globe in 1519, he wasn't able to bring a digital camera or a smartphone with him. Yet, as the eagerly awaited images from the Mars rover prove, modern exploration is inconceivable without photography. Since its invention in 1839, photography has been integral to exploration, used by explorers, sponsors, and publishers alike, and the early twentieth century, advances in techlogy--and photography's newfound cultural currency as a truthful witness to the world--made the camera an indispensable tool. In Photography and Exploration, James Ryan uses a variety of examples, from polar journeys to space missions, to show how exploration photographs have been created, circulated and consumed as objects of both scientific research and art. Examining a wide range of photographs and expeditions, Ryan considers how nations have often employed images as a means to scientific advancement or territorial conquest. He argues that because exploration has long been bound up with the construction of national and imperial identity, expeditionary photographs have often been used to promote claims to power--especially by the West. These images also challenge the way audiences perceive the world and their place within it. Featuring one hundred images, Photography and Exploration shines new light on how photography has shaped the image of explorers, expeditions, and the worlds they discovered.
- Author BiographyJames R.Ryan is associate professor of historical and cultural geography at the University of Exeter, UK. He is the author of Picturing Empire: Photography and the Visualization of the British Empire, available from University of Chicago Press.
- Author(s)James R. Ryan
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/06/2013
- Series TitleExposures
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note50 colour, 50 black and white
- Weight703 g
- Width190 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.04Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.