All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAristotle, great Greek philosopher, researcher, reasoner, and writer, born at Stagirus in 384 BCE, was the son of Nicomachus, a physician, and Phaestis. He studied under Plato at Athens and taught there (367 47); subsequently he spent three years at the court of a former pupil, Hermeias, in Asia Mir and at this time married Pythias, one of Hermeias s relations. After some time at Mitylene, in 343 2 he was appointed by King Philip of Macedon to be tutor of his teen-aged son Alexander. After Philip s death in 336, Aristotle became head of his own school (of Peripatetics ), the Lyceum at Athens. Because of anti-Macedonian feeling there after Alexander s death in 323, he withdrew to Chalcis in Euboea, where he died in 322. Nearly all the works Aristotle prepared for publication are lost; the priceless ones extant are lecture-materials, tes, and memoranda (some are spurious). They can be categorized as follows: I. Practical: Nicomachean Ethics ; Great Ethics ( Magna Moralia ); Eudemian Ethics ; Politics ; Oecomica (on the good of the family); Virtues and Vices. II. Logical: Categories ; On Interpretation ; Analytics ( Prior and Posterior ); On Sophistical Refutations ; Topica. III. Physical: Twenty-six works (some suspect) including astromy, generation and destruction, the senses, memory, sleep, dreams, life, facts about animals, etc. IV. Metaphysics on being as being. V. On Art: Art of Rhetoric and Poetics. VI. Other works including the Athenian Constitution ; more works also of doubtful authorship. VII. Fragments of various works such as dialogues on philosophy and literature; and of treatises on rhetoric, politics and metaphysics. The Loeb Classical Library(r) edition of Aristotle is in twenty-three volumes.
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/12/1934
- Series TitleLoeb Classical Library
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight298 g
- Width110 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byP.H. Wicksteed,F. M. Cornford
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.