All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSome of the earliest civilizations regarded the universe as organized around four principles, the four elements earth. water, air, and fire. Fire, which was the source of light and as such possessed an immaterial quality related to the spiritual world. was clearly the most impressive of these elements, although its quanti- tative importance could t have been properly discerned. M- ern science has changed the names, but macroscopic matter is still divided into four states. The solid, liquid, and gaseous states are ordinary states, but the fourth state of matter, the plasma state, has retained a somewhat extraordinary character. It is w recognized that most of the matter of the universe is in the ionized state. but on the earth. the plasma state is still the exception. Hence the importance and also the difficulty of investigations dealing with ionized matter, which have been greatly furthered by the development of thermonuclear fusion research. The study of matter in the ionized state comprises a large diversity of problems belonging to many different branches of phys- ics. A number of them relate to the microscopic properties of plasmas and concern the structure and the collisional behavior of atomic constituents. Although they are clearly of basic importance, their relevance to thermonuclear research was at first overlooked, at a time when most of the effort was concentrated on designing fusion devices and understanding macroscopic phemena, mostly of an electromagnetic nature. At present.
- Author(s)F. Brouillard,J. W. McGowan
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication30/04/2013
- SubjectMechanical Engineering
- Series TitleNATO ASI Subseries B
- Series Part/Volume Number83
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note158 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1067 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1983
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.