All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides the reader with essential tools needed to analyze complex societal issues and demonstrates the transition from physics to modern-day laws and treaties. This second edition features new equation-oriented material and extensive data sets drawing upon current information from experts in their fields. Problems to challenge the reader and extend discussion are presented on three timely issues: * National Security: Weapons, Offense, Defense, Verification, Nuclear Proliferation, Terrorism * Environment: Air/Water, Nuclear, Climate Change, EM Fields/Epidemiology * Energy: Current Energy Situation, Buildings, Solar Buildings, Renewable Energy, Enhanced End-Use Efficiency, Transportation, Ecomics Praise for the first edition: This insight is needed in Congress and the Executive Branch. Hafemeister, a former Congressional fellow with wide Washington experience, has written a book for physicists, chemists and engineers who want to learn science and policy on weapons, energy, and the environment. Scientists who want to make a difference will want this book. Richard Scribner, first Director, Congressional Science and Engineering Fellow Program, AAAS Hafemeister shows how much one can understand about nuclear weapons and missile issues through simple back-of-the-envelope calculations. He also provides compact explanations of the partially successful attempts that have been made over the past 60 years to control these weapons of mass destruction. Hopefully, Physics of Societal Issues will help interest a new generation of physicists in continuing this work. Frank von Hippel, Professor, Princeton, former Assistant Director, National Security, White House, OSTP Energy policy must be quantitative. People who don't calculate ecomic tradeoffs often champion simplistic hardware. 'The solution is more...nuclear power, or electric cars, or photovoltaics, etc.' Some simple physics will show that the true solution matches supply and demand as an 'integrated resource plan.' Physics of Societal Issues is a good place to begin this journey. Arthur Rosenfeld, former California Energy Commissioner, Professor-emeritus, U. of California-Berkeley
- Author BiographyDavid Hafemeister is Professor Emeritus of Physics at California Polytechnic State University, and Science Affiliate at the Center For International Security and Cooperation, Stanford University. He has also had an impressive career in Washington, D.C., as a Professional Staff Member: Senate Committees on Foreign Relations and Governmental Affairs (1990-93 on arms control treaties at the end of the Cold War) Science Advisor to Senator John Glenn (19775-77) Special Assistant to Under Secretary of State Benson and Deputy Under-Secretary Nye (1977-78) Visiting Scientist in the State Department's Office of Nuclear Proliferation Policy (1979) Office of Strategic Nuclear Policy (1987) Study Director at the National Academy of Sciences (2000-02) He has edited nine books, published more than 140 articles, and was awarded the APS Szilard award in 1996.
- Author(s)David Hafemeister
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication07/12/2013
- SubjectEnergy Technology & Electrical Engineering
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note71 black & white illustrations, 38 colour illustrations, 47 black & white tables, biography
- Weight1190 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.