All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhysiological Adaptations for Breeding in Birds is the most current and comprehensive account of research on avian reproduction. It develops two unique themes: the consideration of female avian reproductive physiology and ecology, and an emphasis on individual variation in life-history traits. Tony Williams investigates the physiological, metabolic, energetic, and hormonal mechanisms that underpin individual variation in the key female-specific reproductive traits and the trade-offs between these traits that determine variation in fitness. The core of the book deals with the avian reproductive cycle, from seasonal gonadal development, through egg laying and incubation, to chick rearing. Reproduction is considered in the context of the annual cycle and through an individual's entire life history. The book focuses on timing of breeding, clutch size, egg size and egg quality, and parental care. It also provides a primer on female reproductive physiology and considers trade-offs and carryover effects between reproduction and other life-history stages. In each chapter, Williams describes individual variation in the trait of interest and the evolutionary context for trait variation. He argues that there is only a rudimentary, and in some cases nexistent, understanding of the physiological mechanisms that underpin individual variation in the major reproductive life-history traits, and that research efforts should refocus on these key unresolved problems by incorporating detailed physiological studies into existing long-term population studies, generating a new synthesis of physiology, ecology, and evolutionary biology.
- Author BiographyTony D. Williams is a professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Simon Fraser University. He is the author of The Penguins.
- Author(s)Tony D. Williams
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication03/08/2012
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note1 halftone. 116 line illus.
- Weight685 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.12New
- AU $24.74New
- AU $19.88New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.70New
- AU $11.50Used
- AU $19.85New
- AU $31.89New
- AU $21.70New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.70Trending at AU $21.12
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.87
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.70
- AU $78.43Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.10
- AU $21.42Trending at AU $22.55
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $43.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.