All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book paints a flowing picture of the relationship between life and nature, through the evolution of a word - physiology. Today, it detes a scientific discipline at the intersection of biology and medicine, signifying the study of life . Yet, physiology manifests a split personality in the course of history. It came down to us from the ancient Greeks, where it represented the study of nature, or natural philosophy - the precursor of modern-day science . Physiology originates from an older Greek root, physics - meaning nature itself - that stretches far back to the birth of Greek thought. How did this word generate two such disparate meanings? What does this word tell us, historically, about humankind's grasp of the essence of nature and the essence of life - and the interrelationship between the two? The author follows an etymological path into the distant past, in writing the biography of the word physiology . The book delves into linguistic pre-history, in search of the primordially interwoven views of life and nature - and the words that symbolized those views. It tracks the evolving meaning of those words in Western civilization across time, space, language, and culture.
- Author BiographyRick Welch is emeritus dean of Arts and Sciences and professor of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, USA, and an affiliated research scholar in History and Philosophy of Science, University of Cambridge, UK. His research interests lie at the interface between the biological and physical sciences, as well as the history of science.
- Author(s)George Rick Welch
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication24/11/2015
- Series TitleNatur, Wissenschaft und die Kuenste / Nature, Science and the Arts / Nature, Science et les Arts
- Series Part/Volume Number13
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note9
- Weight400 g
- Width164 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.