All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe Victorians were image obsessed. The middle decades of the nineteenth century saw an unprecedented growth in the picture industry. Techlogical advances enabled the Victorians to adorn with images the pages of their books and the walls of their homes. But this was t a wholly visual culture. Pictorial Victorians focuses on two of the most popular mid-nineteenth-century genres-illustration and narrative painting-that blurred the line between the visual and textual. Illustration negotiated text and image on the printed page, while narrative painting juxtaposed the two media in its formulation of pictorial stories. Author Julia Thomas reassesses mid-nineteenth-century values in the light of this interplay. The dialogue between word and image generates meanings that are intimately related to the Victorians' image of themselves. Illustrations in Victorian publications and the narrative scenes that lined the walls of the Royal Academy reveal the Victorians' ideas about the world in which they lived and their tions of gender, class, and race. Pictorial Victorians surveys a range of material, from representations of the criline, to the illustrations that accompanied Harriet Beecher Stowe's vel Uncle Tom's Cabin and Tennyson's poetry, to paintings of adultery. It demonstrates that the space between text and image is one in which values are both constructed and questioned.
- Author BiographyJulia Thomas is a lecturer at the Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory, Cardiff University, Wales, UK. She is author of Victorian Narrative Painting and editor of Reading Images.
- Author(s)Julia Thomas
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication25/10/2004
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine661 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.