All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPieces of the Musical World: Sounds and Cultures is a fieldwork-based ethmusicology textbook that introduces a series of musical worlds each through a single piece. It focuses on a musical sound or object that provides a springboard from which to tell a story about a particular geographic region, introducing key aspects of the cultures in which it is embedded, contexts of performance, the musicians who create or perform it, the journeys it has travelled, and its changing meanings. A collaborative venture by staff and research ethmusicologists associated with the Department of Music at SOAS, University of London, Pieces of the Musical World is organized thematically. Three broad themes: Place , Spirituality and Movement help teachers to connect contemporary issues in ethmusicology, including soundscape studies, music and the environment, the politics of identity, diaspora and globalization, and music and the body. Each of the book's fourteen chapters highlights a single musical piece broadly defined, spanning the range of traditional, popular , classical and contemporary musics, and even sounds which might be considered t music. Primary sources and a web site hosting recordings with interactive listening guides, a glossary of musical terms and interviews all help to create a unique and dynamic learning experience of our musical world.
- Author BiographyRachel Harris is Reader in the Music of China and Central Asia at SOAS, University of London. She is the author of two books on musical life in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, and leader of the research project Sounding Islam in China . Rowan Pease is editorial manager of The China Quarterly and also serves as a senior teaching fellow for the department of music, SOAS, University of London. She has published several chapters on music of the Chinese Koreans and also on the Korean Wave in China.
- Author(s)Rachel Harris,Rowan Pease
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/05/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note150 colour illustrations
- Weight682 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.