All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionPierre Gouthiere: Virtuoso Gilder at the French Court celebrates the life of Pierre Gouthiere (1732-1813), considered to be one of the best Parisian bronze chasers and gilders of the eighteenth-century. Gouthiere became gilder to Louis XV in 1767, and is credited with inventing a new type of gilding that left a matte finish dorure au mat one of the hallmarks of his work. Although incredibly successful in his day, Gouthiere died in relative obscurity and poverty; unlike some of his contemporaries his works never regained popularity after the French Revolution.The inclusion of detailed entries and plates of forty works positively attributed to Gouthiere, five essays by leading experts which examine Gouthiere's life, career, clientele, and gilding techniques, as well as examples of his work from French, British and American collections, ensure that this beautiful volume is an invaluable new resource on Gouthiere. The only other volume on this master was published in 1920, and is w long out of print.
- Author BiographyCharlotte Vignon is Curator of Decorative Arts at the Frick Collection, New York. Christian Baulez is an historian of French 18th- century decorative arts and architecture and former Chief Curator at the Musee de Versailles. Anne Forray-Carlier is Curator of 17th- and 18th-Century Decorative Arts at the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, Paris. Joseph Godla is Chief Conservator at the FrickCollection, New York. Helen Jacobsen is Chief Curator at the Wallace Collection, London. Luisa Penalva is Curator of Gold, Silver, and Jewellery Collections at the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, Lisbon. Anna Saratowicz-Dudynska is Curator of Silverand Bronze at the Royal Castle, Warsaw. Emmanuel Sarmeo is an independent scholar.
- Author(s)Charlotte Vignon,Christian Baulez
- PublisherD Giles Ltd
- Date of Publication12/12/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintD Giles Ltd
- Weight2540 g
- Width246 mm
- Height287 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.