All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the great exponents of the direct cinema style, Quebecois poet, essayist, and filmmaker Pierre Perrault (1927-1999) began his documentary career in radio before working with the more traditional Rene Bonniere on a series of short films that documented the geography and people of the St. Lawrence River area. In the 1960s he joined the National Film Board of Canada to shoot films in the new direct style, taking a small two-man crew into communities, revealing their beliefs and allegiances as they coped with social change. His legendary trilogy on the Ile-aux-Coudres opened with his most famous work, Pour la suite du monde (1963). Ostensibly a look at the local people's effort to revive a traditional beluga hunt, it is actually the beginning of a lifelong inquiry into the relationship between community and national identity. Pierre Perrault and the Poetic Documentary discusses t only the world that Perrault's cinema revealed, but a revolution in filmmaking from a great poet, whose solidarity with indigeus communities is revealed in the exquisite matches of the spoken word of their inhabitants with the images of a camera ever attentive to the decisive moment and the ironic juxtaposition. The book features contributions from scholar Jerry White, as well as translations of some of Perrault's writings on film, available for the first time in English. Published by the Toronto International Film Festival Group in conjunction with Indiana University Press.
- Author BiographyDavid Clandfield is Principal of New College in the University of Toronto.
- Author(s)David Clandfield,Jerry White
- PublisherToronto International Film Festival
- Date of Publication01/09/2004
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleCinematheque Ontario Monographs
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintToronto International Film Festival
- Out-of-print date02/02/2016
- Content Note50 b&w illus., bibl.
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.