All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis delightful book tells you everything you ever wanted to kw about pies - from their surprising beginning in Ancient Egypt, through their adoption by the Romans to their journey to becoming a popular British classic. Did you kw that originally the pastry on pies wasn't eaten? Or that what we call pies were once termed 'coffyns' or 'coffers'? Pies reveals these curious facts and is packed with snippets and trivia that will inform and amuse anyone from the avid cook to the culinary vice. Some of our most famous and well-loved dishes are pies - from mince pies at Christmas, to regional specialities which have become national favourites like the Melton Mowbray pork pie and the Cornish pasty. Jane Struthers takes a look at the origins of these classics and includes easy and accessible recipes for you to try in your own kitchen. From mouthwatering recipes to surprising facts, Pies is packed full of material as appealing as a sumptuous Bakewell Tart or a hearty Steak and Ale pie.
- Author BiographyJane Struthers is a keen cook specializing in all forms of baking. She is also a devoted organic gardener who grows a wide range of vegetables and fruit in her cottage garden in rural East Sussex. Jane Struthers is the author of twenty books including Britain from the Air and Literary Britain and Ireland.
- Author(s)Jane Struthers
- PublisherEbury Publishing
- Date of Publication05/02/2009
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEbury Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight154 g
- Width136 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.