All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- Description'Pilgrimage: The Sacred Journey' explores the role of pilgrimage in Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and the religions that developed in India. It was written to coincide with an exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum but it is t a catalogue of the display. It is intended to be read independently, as it explores attitudes to pilgrimage in the different religions; it also includes accounts of individual pilgrimage, both historical and contemporary. Common themes emerge, regardless of religious affiliation. The departure from daily life is part of all pilgrimages. Along the way, the journey may lead past lesser shrines and sacred landscapes. The visit to the central shrine, the final goal of the journey, culminates in an intense spiritual experience. Reliquaries and souvenirs may help to hold on to this moment and transfer its power back into everyday life. Pilgrimage survives as an important aspect of religious awareness and identification to this day.
- Author BiographyRuth Barnes is Researcher for AIFES and has curated the 'Pilgrimage' exhibition. She has worked at the Ashmolean Museum since 1990 and has published extensively on Southeast Asian art and Indian textile trade. 'Crispin Branfoot' has taught South Asian art at the School of Oriental and African Studies, Oxford University, the British Museum and De Montfort University. His research and publications focus on southern India.
- Author(s)Crispin Branfoot,Ruth Barnes
- PublisherAshmolean Museum
- Date of Publication22/02/2006
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshmolean Museum
- Content Note114 col, 3 b&w
- Weight649 g
- Width220 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.