All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPindar's Library is the first volume to explore how readers during the Hellenistic period encountered Pindar's poetry in book form, analysing in detail the role played by Pindar's literary, cultic, and scholarly reception in affecting readers' engagement with his epinician odes. The volume examines the poet's literary devices of encomiastic techniques, mythical narratives, and paraenetic discourses against the background of the song culture of the fifth century, considering the poems as both material documents and performance pieces. With a particular focus on the poems that begin and end the Olympian and Pythian books, the volume considers the continuities between reading and attending performances, highlighting elements of readers' experiences distinctive to Hellenistic culture. It also investigates the issue of quotations of poets in ancient commentaries, and how such citations influenced readers' understanding of intertextual relationships. Throughout the volume, the relations between Pindar's epinicians and the contextual factors that influence their reception are seen in dialogic terms: as well as exerting a powerful influence over subsequent literature, the poems are also recontextualized in ways that shift and extend their cultural significance.
- Author BiographyTom Phillips is Junior Research Fellow in Classics at Merton College, the University of Oxford.
- Author(s)Tom Phillips
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication10/12/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleOxford Classical Monographs
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight528 g
- Width146 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.