All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPink ribbon paraphernalia saturate shopping malls, billboards, magazines, television, and other venues, all in the name of breast cancer awareness. In this compelling and provocative work, Gayle A. Sulik shows that although pink ribbon culture has brought breast cancer advocacy much attention, it has t had the desired effect of improving women's health. It may, in fact, have done the opposite. Based on eight years of research, analysis of advertisements and breast cancer awareness campaigns, and hundreds of interviews with those affected by the disease, Pink Ribbon Blues highlights the hidden costs of the pink ribbon as an industry, one in which breast cancer has become merely a brand name with a pink ribbon logo. Indeed, while survivors and supporters walk, run, and purchase pink products for a cure, cancer rates rise, the industry thrives, and breast cancer is stigmatized anew for those who reject the cheerful, pink ribbon model. Even as Sulik points out the flaws of this system, she outlines alternatives and presents a new agenda for the future. The paperback edition includes a new prologue on the recent developments in breast cancer culture involving Susan G. Komen for the Cure as well as a new four-page color insert with images of pink culture and compelling reactions to its messaging.
- Author BiographyGayle A. Sulik MA, PhD is an independent social science researcher, writer, and health advocate affiliated with the University at Albany (SUNY). She was a 2008 Fellow of the National Endowment for the Humanities for her research on breast cancer culture.
- Author(s)Gayle A. Sulik
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication18/10/2012
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note4 page colour plate insert
- Weight550 g
- Width157 mm
- Height207 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.