All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn relating the story of his life on the island of Deshima and in the port of Yokohama during the late 1850s, Dutch merchant C. T. Assendelft de Coningh provides both an unprecedented eyewitness account of daily life in the Japanese treaty ports and a unique perspective on the ecomic, military, and political forces the Western imperial powers brought to bear on newly opened Japan. A general Introduction provides essential historical and cultural background as well as a brief biography of De Coningh; substantial foottes explain those terms, names, and cultural references that may be unfamiliar to modern readers. Thirteen illustrations are included, as are a chrology of events, a bibliography, and an index.
- Author BiographyMartha Chaiklin is Assistant Professor of History, University of Pittsburgh.
- Author(s)C. T. van Assendelft de Coningh
- PublisherHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Content Notemaps & illus
- Weight342 g
- Width9 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byMartha Chaiklin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.