All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on game dogs including such breeds as the British Pit Bull Terrier, the Sporting Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the English Bull Terrier and other Terrier breeds. This includes much information game dogs from the past right up to 1990's Europe and particularly the UK and Ireland. The American Pit Bull Terrier is included in this book but mainly in regards to its use after re-importation to Europe in the 1980's and beyond. Extensive sections on badger dogs and ratting dogs are included as well as the comparison of game dogs to fighting dogs such as the Caucasian Ovcharka. If your only interest is of a general nature regarding the American Pit Bull Terrier then this book is t for you. If your interest is in regards to working game dogs either in the pit or in the field then this book will be of interest as most information comes straight from the horses mouth; in other words the dog fighters. The author also makes it clear in very strong words that he finds dog fighting and badger baiting immoral. However researching a book on game dogs and t asking dog fighters questions as to their mode of operation and opinion would be analogous to writing a book on poaching and t interviewing poachers. Topics included in this book. What is gameness? A guide to natural and artificial selection. The Birth of the Game Dog. The Old English Bull Dog . The creation of the British Pit Bull Terrier. Dog fighting and rat baiting in 18th and 19th century Great Britain. The Creation of the American Pit Bull Terrier. American legends, the ROM and GR CH dogs. Designer dogs. Badger dogs. The English Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The English Bull Terrier. A comparison of The Pit Bull Terrier to other breeds including the Japanese Tosa and Caucasian shepherd dogs. The science behind the breeding of game dogs. Brave new world game dogs.
- Author BiographyDouglas G Link has a strong background in genetics, plant breeding and microbiology having graduated with a Masters Degree in biotechnology from the University of East Anglia UK.
- Author(s)Douglas G Link
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight213 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.