Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionPity the Drowned Horses is the winner of the first Andres Montoya Poetry Prize. This collection is about place, and many of its poems are set in the desert southwest on the U.S./Mexico border. Sheryl Luna's poems are also about family and home within the broader context of the border as both a bridge and a barrier. They deal with the bilingual and bicultural city and how a place is longed for and viewed very differently as the observer changes and experiences other cultures. The first two sections of poems focus on home and family. They show that, despite poverty and geographical isolation, the border towns of El Paso and Ciudad Juarez are places of beauty and promise. The third section explores cultures and the ways in which anxiety over aesthetic judgments, values, and difference is negotiated. The final section is one of praise and the recognition that despite differences we are all longing for faith and a place to call home.
- Author BiographySHERYL LUNA is an accomplished poet and writer whose work has appeared in literary journals, including The Georgia Review, Prairie Schooner, Poetry Northwest, Puerto del Sol, and Kalliope. She has been a finalist for the National Poetry Series book awards, as well as the Perugia Press Intro Award for a first or second book by a woman. She currently teaches at the Metropolitan State College of Denver in Colorado.
- Author(s)Sheryl Luna
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2005
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleAndres Montoya Poetry Prize S.
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Weight132 g
- Width141 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.