All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPizza is a $35 billion a year business, and where is it taken more seriously than New York City. Journalist Peter Gevese surveys the city's pizza scene--the food, the business, the culture--by profiling pizza landmarks and personalities and rating pizzerias in all five boroughs. In this funny, fascinating book, Gevese explores the bloggers who write about New York pizza, the obsessive city dwellers who collect and analyse the delivery boxes, Mark Bello's school where students spend a day making pies from scratch, and Scott Wiener's pizza bus tours. Along the way, readers learn the history of legendary Toton's on Coney Island (Zagat's number-one pizzeria for 2012), along with behind-the-scenes stories about John's on Bleecker Street, Joe's on Carmine, Lombardi's, Paulie Gee's, Motori, and more than a dozen other favourite spots and their owners. Throughout these profiles, Gevese presents a brief history of how pizza came to the city in 1905 and developed into a major attraction in Little Italy, a neighbourhood that became a training ground for many of the city's best-loved pizzerias. Enjoyable facts and figures abound. Did you kw that Americans put 250 million pounds of pepperoni on their pies every year? Or that Domi's has more outlets per capita in Iceland than in any other country? Beyond the stories and tidbits, Gevese provides detailed, borough-by-borough reviews of 250 pizzerias, from simple slice shops with scant atmosphere to gourmet pizzerias, including shops that use organic ingredients and experiment with new variations of crusts and toppings. Complemented by hundreds of current and never-before-seen archival photos, the book gives the humble slice its proper due and will leave readers overwhelmed by a sudden desire for New York pizza.
- Author BiographyPeter Genovese is a feature writer at The Star-Ledger (Newark, New Jersey). He is the author of ten books, including Jersey Diners, Roadside New Jersey, The Great American Road Trip: U.S. 1, Maine to Florida, and The Jersey Shore Uncovered: A Revealing Season at the Beach (all Rutgers University Press).
- Author(s)Peter Genovese
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2013
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight503 g
- Width216 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.