Placing London: From Imperial Capital to Global City by John Eade (Paperback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.70Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description[The] book is neatly divided into three tours of the focal districts of Central London [and] replete with lurid and dangerous sights and sounds ...I am lured by Eade's new manual to travel to London to sample samosas, discover provocative multicultural art and theater, and make cturnal sorties for the hoisting of ales. * Urban Affairs [The author] writes clearly and with feeling ...[The information] is always plausible and well documented. * Contemporary Sociology ...an excellent ...wonderful collection of essays. * Friends Newsletter, Max Kade Institute An impressive and scholarly analysis ...a profound, college-level retrospective and highly recommended. * The Midwest Book Review ...a timely and invative study. The scholarship is sound and the book is well organised and clearly written. * Les Back, Goldsmiths College London continues to fascinate a vast audience across the world, and an extensive, diverse literature w exists describing and analyzing this metropolis. The central question - what is London? - has produced many answers but ne of them, the author argues, uncovers the complex ways in which kwledge is constructed in the diverse attempts to represent places and people. On the contrary: a gulf has opened up between analysis of contemporary London as a global, postcolonial city, on the one hand, and historical accounts of the imperial capital on the other. The author shows how the gap can be bridged by combining an analysis of the representation over time by various experts of London and certain localities with an investigation of the ways in which residents have represented their communities through struggles over symbolic and material resources. John Eade is Reader in the Faculty of Social and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Roehampton.
- Author BiographyJohn Eade is Reader in the Faculty of Social and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Roehampton.
- Author(s)John Eade
- PublisherBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Date of Publication01/07/2001
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationHerndon
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight250 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.