Plain English at Work: A Guide to Writing and Speaking by Edward P. Bailey (Hardback, 1996)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.18Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEveryday we write countless memos, letters, and reports without a second thought. Likewise, we give presentations, both, formal and informal. Often this writing and speaking gets criticized for being jargon-ridden, obscure, or long-winded-in short, for t being in plain English. But what is plain English, and how do we go about writing and speaking it? In Plain English at Work, Edward Bailey gives the answer, with down-to-earth tips and practical advice. Bailey, and expert in business communication, gives us a simple model for writing: BL Style: write more the way you talk. BL Organization: make your point easy to find. BL Layout: use headings, lists, and other white space so readers can see the structure of your writing. Psycholinguists, Bailey points out, have proven that the techniques of plain English writing are far easier on your readers; experience has proven that writing in plain English is easier on you-the writer, too. Bailey also gives you a wealth of practical advice for presentations including: BL How to remember your talk. BL How to design visual aids. BL How to design computer presentations. BL How to set up the room you'll be speaking in. BL How to develop a successful delivery style. Perhaps most impressive are the many detailed tips he gives here. For instance, when using a pointer, hold it in the hand closer to the screen (otherwise, you turn your back on the audience, making it harder to hear you). When designing a visual aid, use at least 28-point type, and seldom use all capital letters (which are harder to read). And when presenting a bar chart during a computer presentation, build it-a bar at a time-to focus your audience's attention. Drawing on two earlier and popular books, The Plain English Approach to Business Writing and A Practical Guide for Business Speaking, this new volume has been significantly updated. It includes up-to-the-minute information on using computers, computer graphics, typography for your writing and on using the same techlogy for designing your presentations. The result is an authoritative and comprehensive single volume that will be the essential guide for everyone wishing to communicate more easily and effectively at work.
- Author BiographyAbout the Author: Edward Bailey has a national reputation as an expert in business writing and speaking. A consultant to top clients in business and government, he is Professor of Business Communications at Marymount University near Washington, DC.
- Author(s)Edward P. Bailey
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication16/05/1996
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1996
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteline illustrations
- Weight516 g
- Width149 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.