All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe history of how blacks came to America is generally t found in city hall documents, but in the old Black churches and in the hearts and minds of elderly blacks who attended those churches. Through oral history and participant observation, this book attempts to unfold the story of what really occurred in the development of rtheastern American towns and cities through the events that took place in Plainfield, New Jersey. This town was chosen for the study because of its large African-American population (65-70%), and the concentration of churches which were established around 1900.
- Author BiographyLeonard L. Bethel is Associate Professor of African Studies at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Author(s)Frederick A. Johnson,Leonard L. Bethel
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication01/03/1998
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight331 g
- Width152 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.