Planning for Community Resilience: A Handbook for Reducing Vulnerability to Disasters by Himanshu Grover, Jaimie Hicks Masterson, Shannon S. van Zandt, Walter Gillis Peacock, Lori Feild Schwarz, John Cooper (Paperback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.77Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $50.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis timely handbook brings together the fields of planning, disaster response, and hazards management to provide a field-tested process on how to make communities disaster-resilient. How can we plan and design stronger communities? Communities struck by natural disasters struggle to recover long after the first responders have left. Globally, the average annual number of natural disasters has more than doubled since 1980. These catastrophes are increasing in number as well as in magnitude, causing greater damage as we experience rising sea levels and other effects of climate change. Communities can reduce their vulnerability to disaster by becoming more resilient, to t only bounce back more readily from disasters but to grow stronger, more socially cohesive, and more environmentally responsible. To be truly resilient, disaster preparation and recovery must consider all populations in the community. By bringing together natural hazards planning and community planning to consider vulnerabilities, more resilient and equitable communities are achievable. In Planning for Community Resilience the authors describe an inclusive process for creating disaster-resilient communities. This handbook guides any community through the process of determining their level of hazard exposure, physical vulnerability, and social vulnerability with the goal of determining the best planning strategy. This will be an invaluable tool for professionals working to protect communities from disturbance.
- Author BiographyJaimie Hicks Masterson is the Program Coordinator of Texas Target Cities at Texas A&M University. Walter Gillis Peacock, Ph.D., is a Professor in the Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning and Director of the Hazard Reduction & Recovery Center at Texas A&M University. Shannon S. Van Zandt, Ph.D. is Assistant Professor in the Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning and the Director of the Center for Housing and Urban Development at Texas A&M University. Himanshu Grover, Ph.D., is Assistant Professor in the Department of Urban Planning and Regional Planning at the University of Buffalo. Lori Feild Schwarz is the Comprehensive Planning Manager for the City of Plano, Texas. John Cooper, Jr., is Associate Professor of Practice in the Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning at Texas A&M University.
- Author(s)Himanshu Grover,Jaimie Hicks Masterson,John Cooper,Lori Feild Schwarz,Shannon S. van Zandt,Walter Gillis Peacock
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication02/01/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Note8 photographs & 30 illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width190 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.