All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFind out how biotechlogy can produce more nutritious fruits and vegetables, more colorful flowers, and grass that needs less water--and mowing! Plant Biotechlogy in Ornamental Horticulture presents an in-depth overview of the key scientific and technical advances, issues, and challenges in one of the fastest growing segments of the agriculture industry. This comprehensive book covers 19 different topics related to the use of transgenic plant techlogy to improve ornamental plants, ranging from metabolic engineering of flower color and scent to improving cold, drought, and disease tolerance in horticultural and ornamental crops to the ecomics of horticultural biotechlogy. Horticulture provides color and flavor to the foods we eat and variety to the products we use, and helps us sustain a healthy environment. Plant Biotechlogy in Ornamental Horticulture examines the importance of biotechlogy in cultivating garden crops-including fruits, vegetables, flowers, and ornamentals such as plants used for landscaping-by reducing pesticide use, reducing soil erosion, and developing plants with improved nutrition. Leading educators and horticultural professionals address important current and future topics, including micropropagation and regeneration, the use of molecular techniques for genetic improvement, molecular-assisted breeding, abiotic stress, the development of disease resistance, protection from insects, herbicide tolerance, controlled flowering, modifying color and fragrance, plant architecture, and senescence. Plant Biotechlogy in Ornamental Horticulture examines: * ornamental plant transformation * molecular phylogeny * drought response and drought tolerance engineering * transgenic approaches to viral, bacterial, and fungal disease resistance * vegetable propagation by cuttings * the promotion of flowering * molecular aspects of leaf morphogenesis * transgenic manipulation * controlling invasive plants * plant hormones, including ethylene, gibberellins (GAs), auxin, cytokinin, and abscisic acid (ABA) * and much morePlant Biotechlogy in Ornamental Horticulture is essential reading for plant breeders, physiologists, agromists, molecular biologists, cropping system specialists, as well as for educators and students involved in horticulture.
- Author(s)Yan Pei,Yi Li
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/02/2007
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Place of PublicationAbingdon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFood Products Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight952 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.