All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe diverse external shapes and structures that make up flowering plants can be bewildering and even daunting, as can the termilogy used to describe them. An understanding of plant form - plant morphology - is essential to appreciating the wonders of the plant world and to the study of botany and horticulture at every level. In this ingeniously designed volume, the complex subject becomes both accessible and manageable. The first part of the book describes and clearly illustrates the major plant structures that can be seen with the naked eye or a hand lens: leaf, root, stem, reproductive organs, and seedlings; special sections focus on vegetative propagation, and the morphology of grasses, orchids, and cacti. However, plants are dynamic organisms, constantly growing, changing, and becoming more elaborate, and understanding the development of a plant or plant part is as important as describing its final form. Part II focuses on how plants grow: bud development, the growth of reproductive organs, leaf arrangement, branching patterns, and the accumulation and loss of structures. This classic book, w revised and expanded to include the latest information on plant morphology, more than 1000 exquisite line drawings including 119 that are new to this edition, and nearly twice as many photographs as the previous edition, is remarkable for its user-friendly organization, high-quality illustrations, and extensive cross-referencing. Aimed at students of botany and horticulture, enthusiastic gardeners and amateur naturalists, it functions as an illustrated dictionary, a basic course in plant morphology, and an intriguing and enlightening book to dip into.
- Author BiographyAdrian D. Bell, Ph.D, is a Fellow of the Linnean Society of London. He has devoted his career to studying, teaching, and writing about plant morphology, serving as Senior Lecturer in the Schools of Plant Biology and Biological Sciences at the University of Wales and as Cabot Fellow at Harvard University. He has published scientific papers in four areas of botanical research: three-dimensional vascular anatomy of monocotyledonous plants, branching patterns of rhizomatous plants, computer graphic simulation of branching patterns in plants, and branching and bud structure at the canopy surface of tropical rainforest trees. His other interests include gardening with tropical plants in a temperate climate and managing a wildlife environment of pond, copse and wildflower meadow, close-up photography, wood carving, driving and maintaining a vintage 1926 automobile, and travel to warm destinations.
- Author(s)Adrian D. Bell
- PublisherTimber Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2008
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationPortland, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTimber Press
- Content Note387 photos, 1082 line drawings
- Weight1361 g
- Width194 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.