All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTransposon tagging can work. Even though most of our understand- ing about the factors that contribute to a successful tagging experiment has been accumulated from a limited number of experiments using different transposable elements in different genetic backgrounds, it is still possible to draw some conclusions regarding the best experimental strategies for gene tagging. In our experience, Spm has proved to be a good element for transposon tagging. The frequency of recovering mutable alleles in- duced by Spm is t significantly different from that for Ac-Ds or for Mu 6 (summarized in Ref. 22) and varies from about 10- to 10=zr:-8pm has the unique advantage, however, in that all of the members of thiSfumily that have been examined thus far are homologous to each other at the DNA level. Therefore, by combining molecular analysis with genetic segre- gation, it is possible to identify and isolate alleles that are due to insertions of either automous or nautomous Spm elements. There are definite steps one can take to increase the chances of de- tecting a transposition into the gene of interest. The most important step is to select a genetic background in which the desired phetype will be easy to screen. If the phetype is t likely to be mutable, then tester lines should be constructed so as to contain flanking markers that can aid in subsequent segregation analyses.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication12/12/2012
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleBasic Life Sciences
- Series Part/Volume Number47
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight802 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byOliver Nelson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1988
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.