All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionThe Association for Asian American Studies has awarded Masakazu Iwata the 1993 National Book Award for Lifetime Scholarship for this book. Based upon numerous interviews on site as well as English and Japanese documents, the book is a narrative history of the Japanese migrants and, specifically, their experiences as immigrants to the continental United States in the late 19th and the 20th centuries. The focus is upon the Issei, the first generation Japanese in America, who upon arrival entered the fishing, timber, mining, and railroad industries in the American West but shortly left the ranks of labor to become independent farm operators, mainly in the various states west of the Missouri River. It broadly delineates the socio-ecomic milieu of the times and depicts the arduous, agonizing ascendancy of the Issei up the agricultural ladder in the various regions of settlement, while dealing with their successes and failures as well as general contributions made in their adopted land prior to 1941.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Masakazu Iwata received his B.A. (with highest honors), M.A., and Ph.D. from U.C.L.A., and did post-graduate studies in the Slavic-Asian Studies Center at U.S.C., and also studied in schools in Tokyo. He was Professor of History and administrator at Biola University and is currently Distinguished Emeritus Professor of History. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Pi Gamma Mu Greek - letter societies. His major work is Okuba Toshimichi: The Bismarck of Japan published by the University of California Press. Dr. Iwata was awarded the 1993 National Book Award for Lifetime Scholarship for this book. This prize was given to him by the Association for Asian American Studies.
- Author(s)Masakazu Iwata
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/1992
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies, Series 9: History
- Series Part/Volume Number57
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1992
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight1660 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.