All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does the study of Plato's dialogues tell us about the modern meaning of 'sex'? How can recent developments in the philosophy of sex and gender help us read these ancient texts anew? Plato and Sex addresses these questions for the first time. Each chapter demonstrates how the modern reception of Plato's works D in both mainstream and feminist philosophy and psychoanalytical theory D has presupposed a 'natural-biological' conception of what sex might mean. Through a critical comparison between our current understanding of sex and Plato's tion of ges, Plato and Sex puts this presupposition into question. With its groundbreaking interpretations of the Republic, the Symposium and the Timaeus, this book opens up a new approach to sex as a philosophical concept. Including critical readings of the theories of sex and sexuation in Freud and Lacan, and relating such theories to Plato's writings, Plato and Sex both questions our assumptions about sex and explains how those assumptions have coloured our understanding of Plato. What results is t only an original reading of some of the most prominent aspects of Plato's philosophy, but a new attempt to think through the meaning of sex today.
- Author BiographyStella Sandford is Principal Lecturer in Philosophy at Middlesex University.
- Author(s)Stella Sandford
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2010
- Series TitleFeminist Revision
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Weight466 g
- Width158 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.