All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis important mograph examines Plato's contribution to virtue ethics and shows how his dialogues contain interesting and plausible insights into current philosophical concerns. Ancient philosophy is longer an isolated discipline. Recent years have seen the development of a dialogue between ancient and contemporary philosophers writing on central issues in moral and political philosophy. The renewed interest in character and virtue as ethical concepts is one such issue, yet Plato's contribution has been largely neglected in contemporary virtue ethics.In Plato on Virtue and the Law , Sandrine Berges seeks to address this gap in the literature by exploring the contribution that virtue ethics make to the understanding of laws alongside the interesting and plausible insights into current philosophical concerns evident in Plato's dialogues. The book argues that a distinctive virtue theory of law is clearly presented in Plato's political dialogues. Through a new reading of the Crito , Menexenus , Gorgias , Republic , Statesman and Laws , Berges shows how Plato proposes several ways in which we can understand the law from the perspective of virtue ethics.
- Author BiographySandrine Berges is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Bilkent University, Turkey.
- Author(s)Sandrine Berges
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication05/03/2009
- Series TitleContinuum Studies in Ancient Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.