Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $54.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe think of a myth as a fictional story, and Plato was the first to use the term muthos in that sense. But Plato also used muthos to describe the practice of making and telling myths, the oral transmission of all that a community keeps in its collective memory. In the first part of this text, Luc Brisson reconstructs Plato's multifaceted and t uncritical description of muthos in light of the latter's famous Atlantis story. The second part of the book contrasts this sense of myth, as Plato does, with ather form of speech which he believed was far superior: the logos of philosophy. Brisson's work is part lexical, part philosophical, and part ethlogical, and Gerard Naddaf's substantial introduction shows the originality and importance both of Brisson's method and of Plato's analysis in the context of contemporary debates over the origin and evolution of the oral tradition.
- Author BiographyLuc Bisson is the directeur de recherche at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique and vice president of the International Plato Society. Gerard Naddaf is an associate professor of philosophy at York University.
- Author(s)Luc Brisson
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication05/01/2001
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note4 tables
- Weight330 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byGerard Naddaf
- Translated byGerard Naddaf
- Introduction byGerard Naddaf
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.