All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPlato's Dialogue Form and the Care of the Soul discusses how to read a Platonic dialogue and includes detailed readings of the Symposium and the Philebus. In light of recent ndogmatic and dramatic readings of Plato's work, it argues that the dialogues depict Socrates and the other masters as practicing philosophy by extending and reinterpreting Greek medicine in a peculiar quasi-psychiatric way. This book contends that many of the dialogues are depictions of conversations between philosophers and nphilosophers, conversations which are importantly similar to interactions between physicians and patients in Greek medical practice. The book contends that these conversations include both diagstic and therapeutic moments, and function as quasi-psychiatric case histories presented by Plato to his readers.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Mark Moes is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Grand Valley State University, where he specializes in ancient philosophy and ethics. He received his Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Notre Dame and has published articles in professional journals. He also works as a referee for the journal Ancient Philosophy.
- Author(s)Mark Moes
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2000
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleNew Perspectives in Philosophical Scholarship Texts and Issues
- Series Part/Volume Number13
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight440 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.