Playbooks and Checkbooks: An Introduction to the Economics of Modern Sports by Stefan Szymanski (Hardback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.89Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat ecomic rules govern sports? How does the sports business differ from other businesses? Playbooks and Checkbooks takes a fascinating step-by-step look at the fundamental ecomic relationships shaping modern sports. Focusing on the ways that the sports business does and does t overlap with ecomics, the book uncovers the core paradox at the heart of the sports industry. Unlike other businesses, the sports industry would t survive if competitors obliterated each other to extinction, financially or otherwise--without rivals there is thing to sell. Playbooks and Checkbooks examines how this unique ecomic truth plays out in the sports world, both on and off the field. Noted ecomist Stefan Szymanski explains how modern sporting contests have evolved; how sports competitions are organized; and how ecomics has guided antitrust, mopoly, and cartel issues in the sporting world. Szymanski considers the motivation provided by prize money, uncovers discrepancies in players' salaries, and shows why the incentive structure for professional athletes encourages them to cheat through performance-enhancing drugs and match fixing. He also explores how changes in media broadcasting allow owners and athletes to play to a global audience, and why governments continue to publicly fund sporting events such as the Olympics, despite almost certain financial loss. Using ecomic tools to reveal the complex arrangements of an industry, Playbooks and Checkbooks illuminates the world of sports through ecomics, and the world of ecomics through sports.
- Author BiographyStefan Szymanski is professor of economics and the MBA Dean at the Cass Business School, City University London. He is the coauthor of Fans of the World, Unite!: A (Capitalist) Manifesto for Sports Consumers ; National Pastime: How Americans Play Baseball and the Rest of the World Plays Soccer ; and Winners and Losers: The Business Strategy of Football .
- Author(s)Stefan Szymanski
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication16/03/2009
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Weight428 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.13New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.