Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $32.31Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
About this product
- DescriptionPlaying for Change - performing for money and for social justice - introduces a critical pedagogy of arts-based community learning and development (A-CLD), a new discipline wherein artists learn to become educators, social workers, and community ecomic development agents. Challenging the assumption that acculturation into a ruling ideology of state development is necessary, this book presents a version of CLD that locates development in the production of subjectivities. The author argues that A-CLD is as concerned with the automous collective and the individual as it is with establishing community infrastructure. As a result, a radical new theory is proposed to explain aesthetics within arts movements, beginning t by rmalizing music cultures within global capitalism, but by identifying the creation of experimental assemblages as locations of cultural resistance. This book offers a new vocabulary of cultural production to provide a critical language for a theory of anti-capitalist subjectivity and for a new type of cultural worker involved with A-CLD. Drawing from a four-year study of thirteen music festivals, Playing for Change forwards A-CLD as a locally situated, joyful, and creative resistance to the globalizing forces of neoliberalism.
- Author BiographyMichael B. MacDonald (PhD, University of Alberta), is Assistant Professor of Popular Music at MacEwan University in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. An ethnomusicologist and ethnographic filmmaker, he teaches courses in ethnomusicology and cultural studies. Michael publishes widely on topics in the anthropology of music learning with special attention to critical youth studies and the critical pedagogy of music; his films explore themes of cultural sustainability.
- Author(s)Michael B. MacDonald
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication15/06/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number475
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight280 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.