All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPlease God, Which Side is Up? is the memoir of an ordinary family man, who relates here snatches of his life from his invalid childhood in Scotland to training as a commando in the Royal Marines, to working as a journalist in Africa in the unsophisticated '50s and '60s; and latterly as a public relations specialist in South Africa - so that his grandchildren may kw something about him and the life he has lived. It has t been an ordinary life...The author relates with sincerity - and sometimes disarming candour - his experiences and adventures as a boy dancing with the ghosties on Culloden Moor; serving with the elite 3 Commando Brigade in Malta; covering the chaotic, exciting and often comic events in Kenya during the Mau Mau Rebellion - or in Ian Smith's collapsing Rhodesia; and promoting the historic flight of a highly flammable hydrogen balloon over the mighty Drakensberg mountains in South Africa. This is a warm and whimsical story that will transport you to the countries and (frequently weird) situations that he encountered in his rich and interesting life. These memoirs reflect his inquisitive, often provocative, stance on life - its beauty and its people, as well as the idiocy of some of our world leaders and governments - all of it begging the rhetorical question: Please God, which side is up?
- Author BiographyBorn and bred in Scotland, William Harris is a retired journalist who lives in Johannesburg, South Africa with his second wife of more than 40 years. These memoirs were inspired by friends and family urging him to 'write down' the experiences he sometimes recounted about his life as a child living in Scotland and later as a member of the elite 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines. The latter half of the book is devoted to his exciting, often frightening, experiences as a journalist in Kenya, the Belgian Congo, Rhodesia and South Africa.
- Author(s)William Harris
- PublisherAustin Macauley Publishers
- Date of Publication29/08/2014
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAustin Macauley Publishers
- Weight254 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.