All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Elder Pliny's Natural History is one of the largest and most extraordinary works to survive from antiquity. It has often been referred to as an encyclopedia, usually without full awareness of what such a characterisation implies. In this book, Dr Doody examines this concept and its applicability to the work, paying far more attention than ever before to the varying ways in which it has been read during the last two thousand years, especially by Francis Bacon and Denis Diderot. This book makes a major contribution t just to the study of the Elder Pliny but to our understanding of the cultural processes of ordering kwledge widespread in the Roman Empire and to the reception of classical literature and ideas.
- Author BiographyAude Doody is Lecturer in Classics at University College Dublin. She has published articles on Pliny the Elder and his Natural History and on Latin literature, and has co-edited (with Liba Taub) Authorial Voices in Greco-Roman Technical Writing (2009).
- Author(s)Aude Doody
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication11/02/2010
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.