All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRetired fishery officer Randy Nelson's first love was catching poachers. That obsession, plus a devious mind and enthusiasm for marathon running, spelled big trouble for law-breaking fishermen. Thirty-five years in the field (and stream) netted a gold mine of stories: with hair-raising tales of grizzly bear attacks; angry axe-wielding, rock-throwing, shotgun-blasting fishermen and high-speed chases on dirt roads and through bush; Poachers, Polluters and Politics provides a rare glimpse into the lives of DFO officers and the communities in which they live. Here too are stories showing the lighter side of the DFO, like how Nelson honed his psychic powers , and recollections of life in a rodent-infested, government-issue trailer -- where his wife Lorraine once awoke to find a mouse chewing her hair. Firm but fair, and always invative, Randy Nelson usually earned the -- often grudging -- respect of communities and fishermen he encountered. Whether it meant carving a peephole in a hollow tree or teaching his dog to sniff for salmon, Nelson was constantly scheming up new and tricky ways to catch poachers and polluters, many of them kwn violent criminals. Nelson spent a career dedicated to protecting BC's waters and fish population and his passion for his work shines through with every word, drawing the reader into the exciting world of protecting wildlife and prosecuting bad guys.
- Author BiographyRandy Nelson was born and raised in Saskatchewan and moved to the BC coast for a job as a Fishery Officer without ever having seen a salmon. He has since become the most decorated Fishery Officer in the history of BC, having received multiple awards, such as the international Pogue-Elms Award and the Queens Jubilee Medal, over the course of his thirty-five-year career working throughout the BC coast and interior. He is also an accomplished athlete, having raced in over 200 competitions including 10 marathons.
- Author(s)Randy J. Nelson
- PublisherHarbour Publishing
- Date of Publication16/04/2014
- SubjectAutobiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHarbour Publishing
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight462 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.83
- AU $21.81Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $21.90Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.