All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPOEMS This is the definitive edition of the work of one of America's greatest poets, increasingly recognized as one of the greatest English-language poets of the twentieth century, loved by readers and poets alike. Bishop's poems combine humor and sadness, pain and acceptance, and observe nature and lives in perfect miniaturist close-up. The themes central to her poetry are geography and landscape--from New England, where she grew up, to Brazil and Florida, where she later lived--human connection with the natural world, questions of kwledge and perception, and the ability or inability of form to control chaos. This new edition--edited by Saskia Hamilton--offers readers the opportunity to take in, entire, one of the great careers in twentiethcentury poetry. PROSE Elizabeth Bishop's prose is t nearly as well kwn as her poetry, but she was a dazzling and compelling prose writer too, as the publication of her letters has shown. Her stories are often on the borderline of memoir, and vice versa. From her college days, she could find the most astonishing yet thoroughly apt metaphors to illuminate her ideas. This volume--edited by the poet, Pulitzer Prize-winning critic, and Bishop scholar Lloyd Schwartz--includes virtually all her published shorter prose pieces and a number of prose works t published until after her death. Here are her famous as well as her lesser-kwn stories, crucial memoirs, literary and travel essays, book reviews, and--for the first time--her original draft of Brazil, the Time/Life volume she repudiated in its published version, and the complete extant correspondence between Bishop and the poet Anne Stevenson, the author of the first book-length volume devoted to Bishop.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Bishop (1911-79) won the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award, and the National Book Critics Circle Award.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Bishop
- PublisherFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- Weight1669 g
- Width164 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine80 mm
- Contained items statement2 Hardbacks
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.