All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first Anvil edition of this book was awarded the EC's inaugural European Translation Prize in 1990. Paul Celan is among the most important German-language poets of the century, and, in George Steiner's words, 'almost certainly the major European poet of the period after 1945.' He was born in 1920 into a Jewish family in Bukovina, a German enclave in Romania which was destroyed by the Nazis. His parents were taken to a concentration camp in 1942, and did t return; Celan managed to escape deportation and to survive. After settling in Paris in 1948, he soon gained widespread recognition as a poet with the publication of his first collection of poems in 1952. Language, Paul Celan said, was the only thing that remained intact for him after the war. His experiences of the war years and of the loss of his parents are the recurrent themes of his poetry. In the end they led as well to his suicide by drowning in 1970. This third Anvil edition of Michael Hamburger's selected translations w includes the previously uncollected longer poem Wolf's Bean , several additional short poems, and the essay On Translating Celan in which he discusses the challenges faced over many years in his engagement with Celan's poetry. The first Anvil edition of this book was awarded the EC's inaugural European Translation Prize in 1990.
- Author BiographyMichael Hamburger is the foremost translator of German poetry into English. He knew Paul Celan personally. He received the Goethe Medal of the German Federal Republic, for services to German literature, and won the European Community's first ever European Translation Prize for this book.
- PrizesWinner of European Poetry Translation Prize 1990.
- Author(s)Paul Celan
- PublisherAnvil Press Poetry
- Date of Publication31/03/2007
- LanguageEnglish & German
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnvil Press Poetry
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Translated byMichael Hamburger
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.