All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince at least the time of Plato's Republic, the relationship between poetry and ethics has been troubled. Through the prism of what has been called the new ethical criticism, inspired by the work of Emmanuel Levinas, G. Matthew Jenkins considers the works of Objectivists, Black Mountain poets, and Language poets in light of their full potential to reshape this ancient relationship.American experimental poetry is usually read in either political or moral terms. Poetic Obligation , by contrast, considers the poems of Louis Zukofsky, Charles Reznikoff, George Oppen, Edward Dorn, Robert Duncan, Susan Howe, and Lyn Hejinian in terms of the philosophical tion of ethical obligation to the Other in language. Jenkins' historical trajectory enables him to consider the full breadth of ethical topics that have driven theoretical debate since the end of World War II. This original approach establishes an ethical lineage in the works of twentieth-century experimental poets, creating a way to reconcile the breach between poetry and the issue of ethics in literature at large.With implications for a host of social issues, including ethnicity and immigration, ecomic inequities, and human rights, Jenkins' imaginative reconciliation of poetry and ethics will provide stimulating reading for teachers and scholars of American literature as well as advocates and devotees of poetry in general. Poetic Obligation marshals ample evidence that poetry matters and continues to speak to the important issues of our day.
- Author BiographyG. Matthew Jenkins is an assistant professor in the Department of English and director of the writing program at the University of Tulsa.
- Author(s)G. Matthew Jenkins
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Content Note3 photos
- Weight531 g
- Width146 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.