All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis fascinating new title offers an ethgraphical investigation of contemporary police culture based on extensive field work across a range of ranks and units in the UK's police force. By drawing on over 600 hours of direct observation of operational policing in urban and rural areas and interviews with over 60 officers, the author assesses what impact three decades of social, ecomic and political change have had on police culture. She offers new understandings of the policing of ethnicity, gender and sexuality, and the ways in which reform initiatives are accommodated and resisted within the police. The author also explores the attempts of one force to effect cultural change both to improve the working conditions of staff and to deliver a more effective and equitable service to all groups in society. Beginning with a review of the literature on police culture from 30 years ago, the author goes on to outline the new social, ecomic and political field of contemporary British policing. Taking this as a starting point, the remaining chapters present the main findings of the empirical research in what is a a truly comprehensive analysis of present day policing culture.
- Author BiographyBethan Loftus is a post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Centre for Criminology, University of Oxford, specialising in policing and police cultures and policing social divisions. She holds an MA in Comparative Criminology and Criminal Justice and first class honours degree in criminology and criminal justice, both from the University of Wales.
- Author(s)Bethan Loftus
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication03/12/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleClarendon Studies in Criminology
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight447 g
- Width144 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.