All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe principle of policy coherence has been the object of a contentious debate in the European Union's external relations, though discussions have been mainly limited to its foreign policy and its ability to speak with one voice in the international arena. Despite being institutionalised in the Treaty of Maastricht, policy coherence for development (PCD), which implies taking into account the needs and interests of developing countries in n-aid policies, failed to make headway in the European Union, remaining the unheeded concern of some NGOs and a small group of Member States. A change of direction occurred in the early 2000s when the European Commission, taking advantage of a number of favourable conditions and using an astute strategy, managed to set an ambitious agenda for the European Union. This volume analyses the linkages between aid and various n-aid policies, namely trade, agriculture, fisheries, security, migration, and the social dimension of globalisation. Its aim is to shed new light on the EU's policy-making process, by looking at the nexus between various policy sub-systems, and on the role that the EU wants to play in the international arena, by looking at the impact of its policies on international development. This book was published as a special issue of the Journal of European Integration.
- Author BiographyMaurizio Carbone is a lecturer in the Department of Politics at the University of Glasgow, where he also directs the Scottish Jean Monnet Centre of European Excellence. His main research interests are on the external relations of the European Union, foreign aid, the politics of international development, as well as European and Italian Politics. Dr. Carbone has published, inter alia, in the Journal of International Development, West European Politics, Review of African Political Economy, Global Governance, and the Journal of European Integration. His latest research book The European Union and International Development: The Politics of Foreign Aid was published by Routledge in late 2007.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/04/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleJournal of European Integration Special Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight312 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Edited byMaurizio Carbone
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.