Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionUnder the U.S. Constitution, Congress bears responsibility for establishing national policy through legislation, but in recent years that power has often been eclipsed by presidents adopting public policy by other means. Steven A. Shull offers a systematic study of the relative importance of four tools presidents use to create policy without going through Congress: budgeting, executive orders, executive agreements, and commitment of troops. Employing both statistical analyses of recent presidents' use of alternative policy means and case studies of each tool, Shull investigates the factors that affect whether and when the chief executive becomes, in effect, the chief policy maker, budgeter, or diplomat. He examines individual, institutional, and environmental variables, as well as several controls that may influence the choice of unilateral or alternative policy actions. Shull's quantitative analyses help to illustrate t only trends over time in the independent actions of presidents but also the complexity of the factors that influence those trends. Scholars of the presidency, of executive-legislative relations, and of public policy will gain important insight into presidential power from Shull's careful analysis of unilateral and other alternative policy adoption.
- Author BiographySTEVEN A. SHULL was most recently University Research Professor of Political Science at the University of New Orleans. Due to displacement by Hurricane Katrina, he has retired from this position and is currently visiting professor at Ohio State University.
- Author(s)Steven A. Shull
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2006
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleJoseph V. Hughes Jr. and Holly O. Hughes Series on the Presidency and Leadership
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note7 charts, 25 tables, bibliography, index
- Weight531 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.