All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe study of politeness has undergone an explosion of interest since the late 1980s, involving an examination of language and languages in many societies. The present volume aims to contribute to current kwledge and understanding of the subject by giving a broad picture of politeness across twenty-two European countries, addressing the essential debates at the heart of politeness studies. Each chapter attempts to provide an empirical snapshot, based on sound theoretical principles, of the issues and practices in its own society. Some of the contributors engage directly with critical thinking on politeness theory, using data from their languages and cultures to advance theoretical frameworks, while others highlight the forms politeness takes in particular cultural contexts, analysing how individuals interact with each other in ways intended to achieve their communicative goals. The volume treats questions such as whether a given society favours positive politeness or negative politeness, the use of formal or informal prouns of address, small-talk, conventional politeness formulas and how politeness practices change over time.
- Author BiographyLeo Hickey is a Research Professor at the University of Salford, where he was Professor of Spanish for several years. His work centres mainly on Spanish linguistics, stylistics, pragmatics and translation theory. Miranda Stewart is a Senior Lecturer and Head of Spanish and Latin American Studies at the University of Strathclyde. Her interests include interactional pragmatics and the negotiation of face in dialogue interpreting.
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2005
- Series TitleMultilingual Matters
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 127
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight441 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byLeo Hickey,Miranda Stewart
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.34
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.